Monday 11 November 2013

Downton Abbey Luxury






With the finale of season 4 last night, Downton Abbey will not come around again for another year! I don't think I can wait so long! So, to pass the time and to get a little of that vintage luxury, I pulled inspiration from another Julian Fellow's film, Gosford Park. It came out to great acclaim in 2001 and was the starting point for Downton Abbey. In the film I spotted a lovely hot water bottle cover that was used by Maggie Smith and it was gorgeous. A satin embroidered cover with three buttons and a top flap, the height of 30s luxury. So I set about making my own. The ideas for the embroidery came from the booklet Pretty Pretties, I used sateen material and faux lamb's wool fabric backed with muslin, add a little embroidery floss, bias binding, self covered buttons and some elastic and it was done! My own little piece of Downton to warm the cold nights ahead..


all photos unless otherwise stated are by Chloe Cornell

No comments:

Post a Comment